Wednesday, October 5, 2011

It Runs in the Family

Sam has been super creative lately. It's a little strange to see him want to sit still and color or play lego for more than 2 seconds. He recently came up with this idea for a police robot. Pretty cool I think.

Then... this idea for a party potato fish won him a third place ribbon at a little country fall fair.

I know where he gets his talent from. Meet my Granny:

My Granny is the most crafty lady I know and I love that I have little pockets of her creativity all over our little house. She turned 93 this summer and doesn't craft anymore which makes everything she has made us that much more of a treasure.
Today I was sorting through my cedar chest... it is full of kitchen towels and placemats and potholders all made with love by Granny. There was also one extra special gift wrapped up safely in there and the minute Maarti saw it she was in love!

This china doll was one that Granny made for me when I was a little girl. I was allowed to hold it when we went to visit her, but she didn't actually give it to me until I was much older. When she did eventually give it to me she told me not to tell her if it ever broke because it was so much work she might cry.
One day I will give this doll to you, Maarti, but until then I will just let you hold it occassionally, because if it ever gets broken... I might cry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is pretty cool, I remember those days of carefully playing with the china dolls. Wasn't there a boy doll too??

Anneliese said...

Oh, that is so special!

Bill Scarrott said...

What a great story!