Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sermon Illustration

Confession: Quiet, shy me has a dream to one day preach! Where that comes from I'm not sure since public speaking is terrifying. My brother is a pastor and I occasionally live vicariously through him. I have called him countless times with sermon ideas. Sometimes he even uses them.
If I ever get the chance to preach I certainly have a good line up of sermon illustrations thanks to the kids. For instance:
I'm a big Beth Moore fan and over the summer have been going through "Believing God". In it she drills home the "Five Statements of Faith":
1. God is who He says He is.
2. God can do What he says He can do.
3. I am who God says I am.
4. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
5. God's Word is alive and active in me.
and then you end it by saying "I'm believing God!"
Anyway... since Sam has such a sharp memory I decided to teach it to him as well. I say the first part and then he finishes off each statement. We do it everyday so he knows it well. One day I guess he was feeling silly and when we got to #4 I said "I can do..." and he finished by saying "it by myself!". I laughed at him, but I as I thought about it more I realized that sadly that is often my truth. I have it so easy sometimes that I often don't invite God to be a part of my daily life and I certainly don't access the power that is available to me. As Beth Moore would say "We need our reality to merge with our theology." I wonder what that would look like... if we lived like we really did believe what we say we believe?

1 comment:

Leanne Marie said...

I for one would love to hear you preach! I think you have lots to offer and lots of wisdom to pass on!